Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thing # 7 Google

Google - the possibilities. I had begun to explore all of the things that Google has to offer when I was asked to test out a new lap top. I learned about many Google Aps that I didn't know existed. It's almost as if we could "do it all" with Google!
For this experience, I checked out Google Calendar and Advanced search. My younger sister, a fellow teacher at my school - and totally non tech, was raving about Google calendar. I had put it on the back burner to try one day. She has her whole life charted and listed on her calendar...so I thought I'd try. Boy is it easy! I was even able to sync to my phone! I'm a visual person, so I like being able to see my calendar without having to carry around my 10 pound notebook. I think this will be put to good use. I'm thinking of doing somekind of enrichment calendar for my students....not sure yet. If I make the calendar public, I'm wondering if people would use it to sign up for the various areas in the library...it would make it easier than keeping up with "the facilities book" on the circ desk. Perhaps next year.
Advanced search. I loved being able to look up by type...I had been asked to prepare a powerpoint for a teacher's lesson. One quick look and I found the lessons already prepared and by downloading I'm ready for her class next week. WOW! It's amazing what is out there to use.
I'll have to keep coming back to #7 for more...it's got a lot to offer.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

Ditto--calendar and Powerpoints! I was able to do my calendar, but I never figured out how to share it. Can you tell me how? I,too, found the Powerpoints in the nick of time. That feature really saved me a lot of work!