Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thing # 11 Library Thing

I had actually run across Library Thing a few months ago and kinda of looked at it and moved on...figuring that I really wasn't too interested. Taking this Libary2Play class, I'm trying to relate everything to school as much as possible and seeing how I can use the different pieces to get my teachers interested in using technology. I have showed Library Thing to one teacher and she was most interested in getting her classroom collection put in (she's a new teacher and is just started in the collection of materials). I think I'll make a handout to share with the staff...this would be a great way for some of them to "catalog" their rather large collections...one of the neat aspects of the service is having a picture of the front cover. One of my teachers has an enormous collection, but he can never locate the book he is looking for because he doesn't know what he's looking for...having the cover will make life easier. Also, having a tag that you could place the level or the box the book is stored in would make life easier for those teachers with large collections. As mentioned before, I'm looking for the hook to get teachers to try some of these new things...I'll have to let you know how it goes. If it takes off even half as good as the trading cards, I'll have a lot of groups to teach!

1 comment:

Terry said...

You're so well at seeing the USE for all of this. I've been so frustrated at my brain not being able to focus on it that I can't get to the usefulness sometimes. I'll just follow you!