Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thing #5 Microblogging

I know it looks like I'm going through these things really fast...but actually...I played with them the last few days...weeks if the truth be known...but didn't take time to write in the blog...I'm finally taking the time to write in the blog...

Microblogging....I really want to get a facebook account...and this almost made me do it...but I've promised my college daughter that I won't until she's ready for me to be out there...(I think she's afraid that her friends will friend me!)...anyway...I know that facebook is the place to be...through my sisters...they have rediscovered long lost friends and relatives....my daughter keeps up with her college friends although she's here for the summer...and all of her events are scheduled through facebook. I think it's a wonderful resource...and I see how having "it all" in one location is great. I'm not so sure about twitter...the few twitters that I've actually paid attention to, sometimes gave me too much information....I'm not so sure I want to post everything that's going on in my life...but....I guess it has a place depending on what is going on. (Okay...i thought I was done...then I got lost reading more blogs...I happened upon a library blog about how they use twitter for quick announcements....perhaps I need to rethink...not a personal account...but a school library account to let the members know when new books or materials arrive....maybe a twitter for the different groups I have to remind them of our monthly meetings....just had to get out of "the box"....maybe I'll revisit twitter....)

I really do like the backchanneling....I think it adds to the depth of a meeting...my pastor has had the kids text him during a sermon for feedback...I think I need to reccommend backchanneling as a way for him to know their thoughts. I am planning to use backchanneling in some of my trainings next school year and hopefully during faculty meetings. If possible I'd like to set it up for some lessons in the library....it might help me know when students are actually getting what I say.....I think is a great way to keep up with the thoughts of people attending a meeting. Perhaps if backchanneling is going on...a meeting/training would move faster and provide more for the needs of the learner....I'm definitely going to use these.

Thanks for finding all of the readings for us...especially with twitter...I was glad to know some of the "rules" I need to pass it on to a few of my friends!

Okay...I think I'm done for the day....it's been fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is funny that you can't get onto FB until your daughter is "ready." I will admit it was strange to me when both Mom and Grandma sent me friend requests. Ahh, that was a bit nerve-racking. The really cool thing about FB is you can create lists which allow certian users to "see" select information. So Mom and Grandma don't get to see my Wall posts and Status updates since I have some friends who aren't the most mature. :)

VWB said...

and your daughter's friends have to have your permission to become your friend...they can knock at the door, but you don't have to let them in!

Unknown said...

One of my 2 girls won't "friend" me - she says it's creepy to have the person who gave birth to her as a friend. The other doesn't mind.