Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thing #18: Online Productivity Tools

I spent quite a bit of time exploring the Open office tools when experimenting with the lap top design for SBISD. I found that it was very simple to use, a little different than the commercial office suite, but not too hard to figure out the changes. One of the only problems I had was the Open office powerpoint, I tried to insert a downloaded clip like I do with Powerpoint (a project I do with my students) and was unsuccesful. Other than that I didn't have any problems with the Open Source. I was so glad to see that you could save a document in different formats, one of my concerns was that if we moved to Open source, our parents would not be able to open documents ...no problem with the Open Source! I also investigated Google Docs when working on the lap top project...I do believe that Google will over take the world. With Wiki's, Google Docs, and other sources, I think I can begin to cut down on e-mails and editing! Hallelujah!

1 comment:

Terry said...

Yeah!! Only 5 more to go! Wonder if they'll change that Open Source video issue. It certainly is something I use a lot just in presenting to the kids. I guess the business world doesn't use it.