Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thing #15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

Even before I had signed up to take this Web 2.0 class, I had realized much of what was mentioned in these articles. I knew my role as a librarian and the tools I used had changed drastically, and would continue to change if I choose to stay in this job! I loved the video! The notes that each of the students held up was sooo true. I spend much of my "spare" time working with middle and high school students....even those students spend much more time on my space/facebook than their textbooks. I've learned to "call for cell phones" before we try to have class or Bible study. I have to admit, that since I have been reading up and exploring for this "class" I have "risen" in their eyes. We can have discussions and share things that I don't think they ever thought the "gray-haired" lady would ever know. I've watched their eyes pop when I mention something that I've learned from web 2.0. Tonight on the national news they had a short clip that I thought relates very much to the video on this "thing", it was talking about how smart this year's class of students are, yet they can't recall a date from history, or name a specific author of a work of writing. But as the article went on to explain, should these students be required to memorize and recall mundane information when in moments through "Google" or other sources on the internet they can pull up the information needed. Although it will be difficult, I realize that we (educators, librarians, parents) need to allow these students to use the tools that are available to them to acquire the knowledge they need. The exposure that I have had through this class has opened my eyes and let me see a lot of things that I would otherwise have never explored. Even my own children are amazed at some of the things I now know....I guess I'm glad I'm a life long learner...but I think it goes with the job!

No comments: