Thursday, January 4, 2024

The loss of a friend.

I've been praying for Lois for years.  Today she got her wings to heaven.  I'm not exactly sure when Lois and I first crossed paths...from all of our connections it could have been as a child, but I know we connected through our children (Mallory and Holly) at Tallowood Baptist Church.  Our girls were in the same group at church and sometimes ended up at the same locations.  Lois was also in my Sunday School class.  I don't remember when she started coming, but I know she was one of the intial members in the newly established Covenant Class.

Our children are now in their 30's so it's been over 25 years that we have been friends, acquaintances, prayer partners, partners in projects, and involved in activities at Tallowood.  I learned that she knew many of the same folks I did in Alexandria, Louisiana and Shreveport, Louisiana.  She spent most of her childhood in Louisiana....

One of the fun things she did for our ladies group is to tour us through Memorial City Mall.  She worked for the team designing the mall and she knew so much.  It was fun to learn the back story on so many stores in the mall.

Lois was also a hostess.  She was always going over the top hosting dinner gatherings at her home.  She never did paper plates, no...Lois went all out with table scapes, special dishes, special food and the lively conversation around the table.  

Throughout the years we met at her house to begin the Mission Projects at Christmas.  I have years of photos of us in her front yard praying before we took off to deliver gifts to needy families.

In the past few years, Lois rarely missed a day to post a greeting on Facebook.  She would find a cute photo to send daily blessings to her followers.  Sometimes I wonder if she was sending those for us, or as a way to lift herself from the pain of her cancer.  No matter what, she brought a smile to faces everyday.  

She married Scott 13 years ago.  I never knew her first husband.  Scott has been amazing through all of Lois' health issues.  He's taken such good care of her, fixed others homes, and still had a hot meal on the table at night.  My prayers tonight reach out to Scott - I can not imagine what he's going through right now.  13 years ago they were married, shortly after that was the first indication of a health issues - cancer.  It's been 13 years of treatments, remission, doctors and more.  Thankful for their 13 years.

Lois has been a constant in my life for over 25 years.  Not a daily call, but frequently a battery of messages.  I'll miss those conversations.  I'll miss her hospitality.  I've admired her courage, perseverance and strength over the years.  She never doubted that God was on her side.  He provided for her needs.  He knew it was time to call her home.  Heal her.  Make her whole.  Thank you, Lord for the life of Lois.  May we all be so strong when we face difficulties.  May we all have the faith of Lois.  Rest in peace my friend.  I know you are rejoicing in Heaven at the feet of your Savior.  You have run the good race, you have completed your task.  We will miss you.

No comments: