Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Busy Busy Busy

October has proven to be a very busy month.  E-books have taken over the library lessons as we try to get any student, parent or staff member that wants to be connected accounts set up.  I have tried all types of devices and tall types of wifi connections.  Who knew there were so many options out there!  As we get the E-books going, we pull the old, worn out books off the shelf.   So far  we've weeded about 1000 titles - only 4000 more to go.  I'm so glad we started early in the school year!  It seems that Books and Literacy have taken over my life...even on Saturday, I volunteered at a Literacy Carnival in North Houston (Aldine) with Buckner.  I took a group of Middle School Girls and we worked for several hours ...watching the students get so excited at taking a book makes me happy. (Watching my middle school girls help out make me happier!)  Enjoy the photos below...pictures definitely tell the story better than words.
My assignment for Saturday Morning: Signing up people for a Library Card - Excited to see how many already had them and used the library regularly!  At the Literacy Carnival with Buckner and the Middle School Girls Ministry.  Even on a mission activity I find a "library" connection!

Students selecting books at the Literacy Carnival.  The kids loved picking out books - they ran to pick out the three books they were allotted. 

Rummel Creek Students learning how to use e-books!

Totally into reading the e-books on the new iPads @ RCE

Library Friends put the final touches on Book Fair Decorations.  Just in time...we set up for Book Fair Friday!

Fifth Grade Lunch Bunch grab a bite before they finish their video on our book club novel "Laughing at the Moon!"

Weeded Titles - 4 carts loaded!

And MORE weeded books!

The shelves before WEEDING...

The Shelves AFTER weeding!

Although today is only mid-way though October - it has been a most productive month.  And when my spiritual life and my professional life merge, it is wonderful.  I loved taking the Middle School Girls Ministry out to work the Literacy Carnival for Buckner.  They learned to serve and share.  As I weed my library, I know that the books removed from my library will end up in Uganda with a missions group as they establish libraries for the children in Uganda.  How blessed I am.  As I left the Literacy Carnival the church had the following statement on it's sign  "Too Blessed to be STRESSED"  and I AM too blessed to be stressed!

No comments: